Thursday, October 14, 2010

Homecoming

Last weekend was Murray State Homecoming weekend. In the past (pre kiddos), this was a type of reunion weekend where many of our college friends came back to Murray for the day. One year Scott and I hosted a party at our apartment and we had about 50 of our closest friends over after the game for fabulous food and fun. Modern day Homecoming weekend for our family means - going to the parade in jeans and a Murray State t-shirt. Heading home for lunch and then I head to tent city while Scott and kids hang at the house (usually one of the kids has a birthday party and/or sporting event to attend) - then we all meet up at the game.

It is funny how things change as we move through the different stages of life. The interesting thing is that I would LOVE to see those 50 friends again. They didn't become less important to me but other things in life take up our time so, less time is allowed for fabulous food and fun with college friends.

Anyway -so, what is so fabulous about Homecoming? I was walking through tent city and I saw two girls holding their babies talking (I am sure they were dear friends and were excited to share their thoughts on parenthood), I saw a group of guys getting a picture made in one of the fraternity tents (maybe in their 40s) and they had their arms wrapped around each other like old buddies would, I saw a several "old" football players gather at the side- line during the game talking and laughing. These events are so fab because relationships are reunited and friendships are evolved and isn't that what life is all about? I know it takes extra effort and life is moving at a fast pace but I never regret when I put myself in a situation to reunite with old friends (or make new friends for that matter).

Very few of our friends were here for Homecoming and I understand (kids, kids, kids) but I really look forward to the day when we can meet up once again and Scott and I can host another party for ANYONE who graduated in the 90s (ha)...

....but in the meantime - I enjoyed watching others appreciate and take advantage of this wonderful weekend we call Homecoming!

1 comment:

Su said...

Hi-

I tried emailing you but there was no email address. I hope it is ok to contact you here and you get this.

Thanks so much for your interest in my In This Home paintings. It would be a joy to create a piece for your home. I will put your name on my waiting list and contact you when I am able to create. . I have a lot of orders right now, am traveling to Ethiopia Jan 26 to meet our son and do court stuff, and then travel 8 weeks later to bring him home. So it is looking at Feb or March before I will be able to contact you and begin discussion of your painting.

Thanks again for your email and interest. It is such an encouragement to us.

Warmly-
Su Soutter
http://onlygodcouldwritethisstory.blogspot.com/